While doing an inspection of my TBH today I found 3 items that I did not expect...

There was no cluster (but it has been 70 or near it for several days now). The bee population is about 1/3 of what it was in August. I assumed this was due to attrition and getting smaller for winter.

First surprise was there was almost no honey, the 2 front bars (which were all honey) are now empty comb. I started feeding today, originally I had thought the hive could do well on into January.

Second item ; saw several small hive beetles, that gave me pause and made me wonder if the reduced population may be to the SHB. Not sure how I will handle this, thus far the hive has had no additives.

Third thing that surprised me was a creature that on first glance resembles a cock roach. Further study revealed the bug has a long narrow pointy tail,it's backside was brownish/reddish and had a shine to it. Obviously I don't know what it is, one was buried in an empty cell, pulled it out but saw half a dozen others on the empty side of the follower board.
    Wayne - KA4ANQ

Wayne,
    Can you get a picure for an ID?

Albert
    September 8th 2007 is National Beekeeping Day
    American Agriculture, its as close as the nearest Honeybee!

Albert, I am off again on Thursday and it is looking to be another nice day. I will try to get some pictures.

Forgot to mention there is brood (small amount) in all phases in the hive. Additionally I only saw 3 SHB, my biggest surprise was the lack of stores, still some around top of several frames and 1 frame of just honey at back of box.
    Wayne - KA4ANQ

Here is a picture of the 'bug', I still don't know what it is.

http://www.i119.photobucket.com/albu...es/hivebug.jpg
    Wayne - KA4ANQ

I occasionally find one or two of these. I have been told that they are "German cockroaches". They seem to do no harm.
    doug

Thanks Doug.
    Wayne - KA4ANQ