Question

Where do you place your entrance on your tbh and why? Does the shape of the entrance matter, like straight across or holes in the side? How do you orient the entrance, east, south or away/towards prevailing winds?

Thanks,
    Jenn

Mine is just a gap at the top and a gap at the front bar. I'm Lakota. All things being equal, all dwellings face East. [img]smile.gif[/img] South would be my second choice. Any direction will do ok.

www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Those Lakota must have the right idea. I have a hive with holes on the East and West sides. They have propolised the West-facing hole which also faces a stand of trees until there is only a pin-hole opening left.
    On the other hand, I have a bottomless hive with the broodnest on the West side and they totally ignore the entrance on the East side. Mostly they slip out through the screen on the bottom and exit to the South, but the ones using a hole use the West-facing one.
    "Before I speak, I have something I'd like to say. . . . I will try to keep this short as long as I can." Yogi Berra