if you leave about a 1/4"ish gap between each bar as you are putting the hive back together you can apply powdered sugar on top of the bees and brush in the excess just like you would a lang. then push the bars back together. my hives have screened bottoms. i have no idea what would happen with solid bottoms.
    all that is gold does not glitter

I assume by your post you are using top bar hives. Are they the Kenya style with sloping sides or straight sided. Do you just substitute 1/8" hardware cloth for the bottom board or do you add extra boards or cleats underneath for mite drop space. I plan on building one or two this winter.
    doug

-I assume by your post you are using top bar hives.

yes i use top bar hives.

-Are they the Kenya style with sloping sides or straight sided.

i have both and langs. the straight sided would be tanzanian/long hives. i won't be building anymore kenyan (slope sided) in the near future. the thing about less side atatchment doesn't amount to enough differance to make the lack of being able to swap around with the langs and frames worth it. i will be building more double deep long hives and or 3/4 deep long hives this winter.

-Do you just substitute 1/8" hardware cloth for the bottom board or do you add extra boards or cleats underneath for mite drop space.

yes about just substituting 1/8" hardware cloth. the only extra board would be across the bottom center for a little support. i don't do anything to special about might drop space. i've got some cardboard pieces i put under if i'm using sugar.

-I plan on building one or two this winter.

i've got a couple good kenyan and triple medium hives i'll trade for what have you if your ever in the somerset area.

-
    all that is gold does not glitter