Thread: Tbhs Cow Tested

Hi Guys,

Well, those itchy cows have been working over my beeyard.

I normally have them moved out of the agriculture areas by now. But didn't get it done this year.

The cows have demolished my beeyard, twice this fall. The lang hives really took a beating with brood bodies separated and laying on the ground, lids off, etc. Only a couple of lang hives avoided being damaged.

But the tbhs, although pushed around, survived intact without any damage. The cows got the bricks off the lid and flipped one lid off. But the bees were unaffected.

Regards
    Dennis
    Thinking tbhs survive marauding cows better than they do marauding beekeepers :&gt

Now if you could only get those findings published in a peer reviewed journal....

Dennis did you see the picture in the new BC?

Showed nice gentle cows grazing peacefully among dozens of mating nucs.

I think you need to talk to them wild Wyoming cows!

Hi Guys,

Haven't seen the picture. But I'll bet those were adult cows grazing among the nucs.

It was adolescent cows in my beeyard. I suspect that a curious one, in its awkwardness, accidentally knocked a hive over creating a ruckus. When the other adolescent cows saw what was going on, they came running. And like all adolescents, thinking anything noisy and disruptive must be fun, the bolder ones tried to out do the first cow. And eventually even the timid ones, not wanting to be left out, succumbed and joined in. They make a big mess. But not much real damage.

It's to be expected. But hasn't happened to my hives for awhile. So, I became complacent.

About the only bovine thing more disruptive is when a few mature bulls beginning thinking and acting like the adolescents. Then they lower their heads and make war with the hives. Sometimes the bees get the best of them and chase them off. It must wound their pride, as they often return and make some more war on the hives. This always results in much damage and loss. And the bulls become very self-defensive and dangerous. Sometimes it just better to remove those bulls from the pasture and put other, more mature cows in there. Things get more calm after that.

Yep, those cows are just like people.

I've thought about adding this to my first post and getting them both peer reviewed. But my peers, who know better than to take me too seriously, say there's too much bull for publication. And those who take me too seriously, won't condescend and admit to being my peer :&gt)))

Regards
    Dennis
    Casper, Wyoming--Dick Cheney's home pasture!

That's a lot of Bull!

Maybe you ought to think about being a vegetarian!

When the kids were little, about 25 years ago, we spent a week camping up in the Little Bighorns along a nice little brook trout stream. We had some bovine visitors to our camp site every day, just range cattle I guess.

I used to milk cows for a guy in Indiana when I was in high school. He had a bull named Eli. Eli was a tough SOB even though he had it made with 50 cows and some young heifers.

You would think all those girls would keep him busy but he was always raising you know what. He had a big ring in his nose - you would try to grab it if he came at you. Then the boss added a length of chain to the ring.

That old boy's nose was so tough he got to where he could swing that chain around like a gladiator.

Shortly thereafter he became hamburger...