Does anyone dry lemongrass before winter to use as a swarm lure early next spring? Thanks.

I’ve used dried lemon grass to make a lure and had good success with it. We have a supply of it planted on the coffee farm up in the mountains where we have some of the bee hives. Since I live down in the valley I will usually cut some and let it dry at home so I have it on hand if I need to use some to bait the trap hives.

I make a really strong tea and paint it on the outside of the trap boxes (I’ll sprinkle wax on the inside). I’ll use a good handful in just about a quart of water. Even though the grass may turn brown when dried, it still makes a strong smelling tea.

The first swarms will be starting to fly in the next week or so down here. I’m getting the trap hives ready right now (about 30) and want to hang the first ones this weekend. I’m hoping by the end of the month I’ll have the first box or three filled with swarms. November is when the swarms really start to fly up in the mountains.

---------------
    Tom

Sounds like a blast Tomas! I was hoping you'd respond to my question, I remember you saying you make a tea to use and figured you'd know the answer. Thanks a bunch!

My pleasure.

---------------
    Tom

Thinking about this, another idea that occured to me was to maybe cut the lemon grass and freeze it for use in the spring. Just chop it up into pieces so it would fit nicely into a bag. It might keep more of its smell this way.

Or maybe you could cut it and make the real strong tea and then freeze the tea. Maybe freeze it in the ice cube tray and then you could just thaw out what you need, sort of like the frozen lemonade concentrate.

They're just some ides. Take them or leave them.

----------
    Tom