Thread: Another TBH

Hi,
    This is my first post here. I've build long hive out of notched 4X4 and black pipe for legs to stand on. its side to side ID is same as langstroth and 7 inch deep could use med frame, but going to rip some top bars. at 42 inch long ID has about the same volume as 2 deeps. I wish could say it was cheap jaw about hit the floor when I paid $12 for a 4X4 needed 4 to build the box. Heres some pictures, You think the bees will like it?

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=wpvdTi

Stu
    I like Bee

I can't get to the picturel. I'm having trouble picturing the need for 4 by 4's. Sounds like they should last forever. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hey there Stu, pretty cool, I have to say I have not seen a log cabin bee hive before.

Actually IMO I think you need to make it deeper. I would consider adding a couple more logs.

But hey, try it and see. With those thick walls and maybe some insulation over the top bars it might make it through winter easily, especially in MD. Are you near Rockville?

the first bomb shelter for bees! do you have a bear problem? just kidding. way cool. tbhs let the creative side take over.

Hi David
    I would like hive a little deeper and cut six all thread which bolt whole thing together long enough that could add another stack of logs
    (4X4) but am scared of comb falling if to deep.
    But then I can see it being real fun trying to add later with bees in there if I don't do now
    [img]smile.gif[/img] Rockville Md is about 60 mile south west of me. we are at susquehanna river were it enters chesapeak Bay

Stu
    I like Bee

It won't fall because of the height. I have found that the deeper hive overwinters better.

Bees are pretty good engineers and builders. They will build comb that will support its own weight plus the honey, brood and bees that use it.

In natural places like trees they will make very long combs.

My son and his wife and my new grandkid to be live in Rockville. I plan on spending some time there, may need to hook up with you some time so I can get my bee fix...

Looks real sturdy you'll be ready for the huricane when it hits! The bees should love it, it's like being inside a big Oak tree.

there's one shot in there where you can see the roof of a house that looks like it's below the hive
    is this thing in a treehouse?? [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...55760662gesdax

Dave

In Africa they hang TBH, from trees to keep the ants out. In the tree house ants probably won't be a problem. You could build another and set them side by side and get more honey!

>>is this thing in a treehouse??

LOL! I guess it does look like this.
    But its a deck, my back yard does have a big vertical rise. The house you see is my neighbors, but from deck can see over roof of my house. Gives me poor-man's view of river.
    Drobbins I like the pictures of your long Hive
    on your sight looks like fine work [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    -------

>>My son and his wife and my new grandkid to be live in Rockville. I plan on spending some time there, may need to hook up with you some time so I can get my bee fix...

Sounds great Dave. I know that next spring after I put bees in this Hive I will have a million questions.

Stu
    I like Bee