Thread: lining bees

marjery Guest

I don't know what "lining" is or how to do it. But I'm ready to learn.

Many variations exist but here is a pretty easily understood method that will give you an idea of "what" and "how". Many variations exist including glueing a tiny feather to the back of a bee to slow it down in flight allowing you to see it longer.

http://www.ultimate.com/washington/w...rs/2003winter/

P.S. Article on beelining is about half way down the page.

David

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

marjery Guest

Thanks for the articles, both were interesting and detailed. I live in a fairly well populated area (1 acre lots) outside the city limits and it's so hot now I probably won't try lining bees anytime soon. It's amazing that it can be done.

I too found this idea fascinating. I am going to buy the beelining box that brushymountain sells and give it a try when I go up to Wisconsin later in Sept.

I have read up on the subject quite a bit, but I thought I'd share with you the best text I've found on it.

I looked it up on Amazon as I could not remember the author's name. Here is the data from Amazon:

Hunting Wild Bees (Hardcover)
    by Robert E. Donovan

# Hardcover: 184 pages
    # Publisher: Winchester Pr (August 1984)
    # Language: English
    # ISBN: 0876913109

It's out of print, but 3 copies were available used starting at $10 (no I'm not selling mine). It is very well written and I highly recommend it.

Troy