Hi Guys,

After running tbhs and Langs for a few seasons, I've developed a curious emotional reaction to each type of beekeeping.

Once I setup one of my tbhs and they have straight comb, they can be left essentially unmanaged and do just fine. I've found that I only need to work them just a few times a year. My langs require about a visit/month during the active season. So, when my mood or schedule dictate very little time for the bees, tbhs are a favorite and Langs are a pain.

But when I want to feel like a real beekeeper and mess with the bees alot, the Langs provide no end of opportunities for messing around. It's then that the tbhs seem a little restrictive.

So far, I haven't been able to cut loose of either type. ;&gt))

Regards
    Dennis

Yes,why should it be tbh vs. langs,why not both ,at least for testing them and comparing.
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

Do you notice a difference in harvestable honey production?
    Kristal

Hi Beewildered,

Generally, my tbh production is less than that of my Langs. I think alot depends on the timing and type of flow. Lang bees will store more honey with the flows are massive, intense, but short. The tbhs and Langs are about the same when the flows are less intense and longer.

But I have one tbh that is my best producer. Yesterday, I worked it to clean up some comb damage that occured when a non-tbh beekeeper took a peek inside. Well, those bees had completely filled up my tbh with new honeycomb.

Maybe this would be a good tbh technique to increase honey production. Just trash the storage comb at the rear of the hive :&gt)))

It was interesting to see how they merged the vertical comb with the horizontal comb. They actually drew out some almost horizontal comb in the process! The whole back end of the hive one one tangled mass of comb going every which way, and at every angle of tilt. It was quite a mess to clean up.

But it has produced about twice what my best Langs have produced. But my other tbhs have produced about 2/3 rds as much.

Regards
    Dennis

I am a new beekeeper this year and my partner and I run both langs and TBHs. Although I find the "pure" top bars a lot of fun, the girls inevitably attach the honey to the sides, making working the hive a pain when it is very full, and I find inspection a pain (Ontario recommends all brood comb be inspected once a month as part of integrated pest management and disease control)- in all other respects the tbhs win out. I will transition to using empty lang frames in place of bars next year, to avoid the attachment inconvenience and allow easier inspection. This will make it easier to apply oxacylic acid and formic acid, and leave open the option of supering with an excluder. The best of both worlds I hope.