Thread: Very weak hive

I installed a package this spring which ended up building very crossed comb. I pulled it apart twice to try and get them building straight. The first attempt was poorly done and a few combs full of brood were lost. The second intervention done with swarm frames went well and has them staying straight but the hive is now very, very small. We're talking about roughly 3 or 4 hand sized combs with festooning bees on both sides. I found the queen, there was brood, honey and some new comb being built.

In comparision, my other 2 hives are booming with 10+ full sized combs full of bees, brood and honey. These hives are easily 10 times larger than the weak hive.

Is there any chance of this hive being able to build up enough in time for the long winter ahead? With a laying queen I would hate to lose this hive if I can help it. Thanks in advance.

I would expect to have to feed them as much as they will take the rest of the summer and maybe well into the fall. At least there is still hope. Good luck!

We're having an excellent wildflower flow that should continue for another 6-7 weeks, I don't see how feeding would change the situation? Unless done to stimulate brood rearing or wax production (which they're currently doing albeit on a very small scale) ? I'd really rather not feed if I can avoid it, if robbing started on this tiny hive I'm sure they would be done for. If fact this hive was robbed early on during post installation feeding, I think it may have contributed to it's current condition.

Is it possible some of the bees may have left to join the 2 stronger hives?

Thanks.