I went to work my bees today. Upon entering my outyard, I noticed a few of the Langs, although set together, didn't look right. And the covers were off my tbhs. Obvioiusly someone had been in the beeyard and had looked into my hives.
Could it have been the bee inspector? I've kept bees for over 35 years and haven't seen him yet. Although I have talked with him on the phone. Maybe, but I doubt it, as he told me he would call before inspecting my hives as he wasn't familiar with tbhs.
I'll bet it was a noisy, local beekeeper who just couldn't resist getting into my beeyard. The Langs were set back together, although not the way I do it. But the tbhs were another story. Upon removing a rear topbar, I was in for a shock! That clueless beekeeper had attempted to remove the combs, which were destroyed in the process. Pieces of those combs were scattered around and stacked in the freespace, at the rear of my hive, and not where they would have fallen naturally. About half of each broodnest was destroyed this way!
Meanwhile, the bees had drawn comb every which way, during our major honey flow, and tied the whole works together. As a sidenote, the bees used the stacked comb to store honey also. So, I've got quite mess. I hope I can salvage enough comb to make a colony.
I'd never thought of this as a disadvantage for a tbh, but they are very susceptible to damage from maurading, clueless Lang type beekeepers.