My old hive swarmed right under my nose, and I was able to catch them, and through a series of containers have finally transferred them to a brand-new, hastily built hive.

The swarm -- now known as the new hive -- survived being dumped into a rubbermaid storage container, dumped into a borrowed TBH, and finally dumped into the new hive. (By the way, 11/64 air holes drilled into a rubbermaid container are just big enough to allow bees to get stuck halfway in and halfway out).

I checked them the day after the final hiving, and they were building comb down the gap between bars on one of the borrowed top bars. (The borrowed hive did not have comb guides yet). I pulled that comb off and placed it on the comb guides of new top bars.

I gave them a rest yesterday, but checked them again today. They are drawing straight comb on about ten bars, and there is one wavy brood comb I had pulled out of the old hive -- nothing in the old hive is particularly straight, but it's all workable -- near the hive entrance. They had attached the comb on the first top bar to the front of the hive.

Other than that, all seems right with the hive.

Now I would like to give them a break of several days.

After the mess in the original hive, I'm not sure if that would be wise.

It all seems straight now, but the comb is small.

What's the right balance between checking a new hive and letting them go about their business without interference?

Thanks,

Paul

[size="1"][ July 02, 2006, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: pcooley ][/size]

>(By the way, 11/64 air holes drilled into a rubbermaid container are just big enough to allow bees to get stuck halfway in and halfway out).

Thank you for that information. I have been looking for a figure like that.

-j
    My Mom's other kids are smarter than me, but i'm not nearly as nice.

1/6" is big enough for a bee to squeeze through, so I suppose 11/64" is pretty close to that. 1/7" is small enough to keep them in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'll have to dig up my 1/7" drill bits tomorrow. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-What's the right balance between checking a new hive and letting them go about their business without interference?

ive done alright with once a week.
    all that is gold does not glitter

1/7" is between 5/32nds and 9/64ths if that helps.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

hehehe, thanks Michael. I usually check on mine once a week (I have Fridays off so that works great for me). I miss a few so sometimes it is a couple of weeks. I don't know that they need checking that often, but I like to spend time with my girls anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The trick is to check them often enough to know what's happening, but not so often it disturbes them.

The rule of thumb is that somewhere between once a week (for a hobbyist) to once a month (typical for most commercial outfits) is recommended.
    Scot Mc Pherson<br />McPherson Family Honey Farms<br />Davenport, IA<br />BeeWiki: <a href=\"http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org</a> <br /><br />Pics:<br /> <a href=\"http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/\" target=\"_blank\">http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/</a>