hi
    i am setting up a ktbh tomorrow . it will have about 5 frames of brood comb in swarm catcher frames . i plan to use a follower board ( false back )
    can i cut a notch in the follower board , and use a feeder in the unused area of the hive . i hoped this would help prevent robbing
    it is a 5 frame nuk going into a 36 bar ktbh

also
    should i wait untill they have filled in the comb in the swarm catcher frames before i add empty top bars ? or should i add 2 - 4 empty bars at install ( this is what i planned to do ), so i don't have to bother them for a while
    thanks again
    stephen

I wouldn't. I would put the feeder on the "bee" side of the board and I'd put bars in the back just in case they decide to move back into the other part of the hive. I would try to keep them OUT of the other part of the hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks again michael
    what would we do without you .
    do you have anymore queens left?
    would like to know roughly what shipping would be to s.c. for 2 queens
    pm me if you still have some
    thanks

>do you have anymore queens left?

Yes.

>pm me if you still have some

I did.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi

>can i cut a notch in the follower board , and use a feeder in the unused area

I've seen it done with a space cut out for a boardman feeder. This kept the bees out of the space behind the follower board and made it easy to feed the bees without disturbing.

Michael's point about not having the bees in the side behind the follower board is valid but is answered in the use of the boardman.

why are we trying to keep the bees out of the back of the hive? ive been guilty of using loose follower boards and feeding in the back. one of the ways ive found the bees could use more space is when i open up and they're in the back, small colonys never seem to venture into the back much.
    all that is gold does not glitter