Thread: wax starting

Question

I have seen the "v" guide notch made from a piece of wood, that covered with a little wax, was all that was needed to guide the bees where to start making the comb.
    I also have a good amount of extra strips of smallcell foundation that I was thinking of using.

Is there an advantage of the wood notch guide over foundation starter strips. Does one provide more support. Advantages or disadvantages of one or the other?
    Thank you.

>I have seen the "v" guide notch made from a piece of wood, that covered with a little wax, was all that was needed to guide the bees where to start making the comb.

I don't wax mine. They work fine without it.

>Is there an advantage of the wood notch guide over foundation starter strips. Does one provide more support. Advantages or disadvantages of one or the other?

They seem to follow the wood more reliably. The attachment seems to be stronger with the wood. The bar is more durable and permanent where the starter strip gets bent, falls out and is more fragile in general.

Both work pretty well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks MB.
    I have used the foundation strips of no more than a half an inch. With a little heat from a propane torch applied to a screwdriver, and touching the base of the foundation after placing it in the groove, has made it very sturdy. The strips are only minimally exposed.

I just put starter strips into a groove in the topbar with some wood glue
    works great
    I would think that the "V" would provide more surface area for the attachment of the comb to the bar and would be stronger, I was just to lazy to do it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

I have some extra plastic foundation sitting around and cut 3/4" strips to use as follower. This has worked fine for me so far. The bees usually attach all the way to the top bar giving the comb a very secure attachment. Once I run out of plastic foundation I will probably use the v strip on my top bars.