Thread: tbh

Smile

Hi everyone, well I am trying an experement with a lang. I made 1 1/2 inch wide top bars for a deep lang box. mostly due to the lack of time to make regular frames. I put them in with a 3/8 gap between them. I also put a groove down the middle and filled them with beeswax. that should give them something to start with... Hopefully they will go up and start to build some comb. I don't know if it will work, but we will know in a week or two. Just thought I would share. might just work.... Shorts

with 1 1/2" bars you dont want a 3/8" gap between them. push them all together like a tbh. if its a vertical super or you want a top entrace leave a 3/8"ish gap on one side. if you want it solid on top use bush spacers to fill in.
    all that is gold does not glitter

>Hi everyone, well I am trying an experement with a lang. I made 1 1/2 inch wide top bars for a deep lang box. mostly due to the lack of time to make regular frames. I put them in with a 3/8 gap between them.

The gap will make the comb spacing 1 7/8". That's WAY too much. The bees will want 1 1/4" for brood so that's 5/8" too much. You can get by with the 1 1/2" but they will cheat and eventually get off the bars.

> I also put a groove down the middle and filled them with beeswax. that should give them something to start with... Hopefully they will go up and start to build some comb.

That might work. I've had the best luck with the triangular pieces.

> I don't know if it will work, but we will know in a week or two. Just thought I would share. might just work.... Shorts

Maybe if you crowd the bars together.... otherwise it's doomed to fail.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

well, I guess we live and learn. I will crowd them together.... my mistake... I didn't thing about it being 1 7/8... Thanks

Personally, I'd cut half the bars down to 1 1/4" and leave the other half 1 1/2" and adjust which bars are where as the bees get to honey storage and get fatter (1 1/2") or if they are doing brood (1 1/4").
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I don't put wax on anything. Here are the designs for my top bars
    http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6
    and so far they have been 100% followed and straight comb built.
    All of the frames in the hive, so far, are 1-1/2". I had intended to use 1-1/4" and thought I had made some, but when I installed the bees, all I found were the 1-1/2" ones. The bees didn't care, they just went to work on them and raised brood.
    You can see the results on this same web site.
    Jon, N6VC/5

I don't put wax on mine either.

I just did the same thing in baja with 1 inch bars about 3/8" apart as the top super and left for a week or so in the states so I will let you know if it does any good

You could do the 3/8" gap if you put in 1" bars. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    You could even do a 1/4" gap.