Thread: comb honey

hi
    how much does comb honey , from a tbh or ktbh , sell for ? is it sold by weight , how much does a ktbh comb of honey weigh ?

A pound of cut comb honey usually goes for about five to six dollars around here.

A ktbh comb will vary by the dimensions of the hive, which varies from person to person. Mine, which is a 15" top bar and about 10" deep and about 21 degrees slope is probably about five or six pounds depending on how thick the bees made the comb.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

wow i didn't think a comb would weigh that much . so the comb from the deep tbh i built would weigh...what , maybe 10 lbs ??? thats alot of weight to support . maybe i'll stick with frames in this one .
    anybody have a deep tbh and weighed thier combs ???
    thanks
    stephen

hi again
    do yaul have any trouble marketing natural comb honey from a ktbh ? how does it compare sales wise from extracted honey ?

>so the comb from the deep tbh i built would weigh...what , maybe 10 lbs ???

A langstroth sized deep? Probably about 9 pounds.

> thats alot of weight to support .

Yes.

>do yaul have any trouble marketing natural comb honey from a ktbh ?

Cut comb is cut comb. No one knows or cares if it's from a top bar hive or a Langstroth.

> how does it compare sales wise from extracted honey ?

People who want comb honey want comb honey. People who want extracted honey, want extracted honey. I sell both mostly to different groups of people. I usually sell all the comb honey I can get. I don't usually sell all the extracted.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I can't seem to find enough of a market for comb honey. Its something you have to sell to specific groups like the VFW and other groups of people old enough to remember that was how you ate honey.
    Scot Mc Pherson<br />McPherson Family Honey Farms<br />Davenport, IA<br />BeeWiki: <a href=\"http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org</a> <br /><br />Pics:<br /> <a href=\"http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/\" target=\"_blank\">http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/</a>

We never have enough comb honey. Our Russian and polish clients are the big users. If you sell it as raw honey that helps. Comb honey, after all, is the only raw honey, all other honey is processed to some degree. (I know, here we go with this can of worms again!)

Anywhere old people hang out is a good market for comb honey. Any ethnic groups where a large number of them are actually "not from around here", usually appreciate REAL unheated, unfiltered honey and usually prefer comb honey.