Greetings,

I just bought a house that came with three healthy (?) top bar hives. The owners gave me one quick lesson on maintaining the hive, but not really enough for me to feel like I have a clue on what to do.

Are there any locals who'd be game to mentor me a bit?

Thanks!

neal
    Albuquerque, NM

theres a top bar guru in new mexico named les crowder who teaches at the ecoversity. read the archives of this site its packed with info. start doing regular hive inspections and youll be an expert in no time. things sure can work in strange ways. have fun
    all that is gold does not glitter

Neal,
    The best overall "book" about top bar hives is Small Scale Beekeeping

After I read through this then all of the bits and peices I got from forums and websites really seemed to make much more sense.

There are a lot of resources on the web. Do a search on "top bar hive" and you'll find a lot.

Read this forum and you'll also learn a lot.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Neal, welcome to the joys of Albuquerque beekeeping. Though I'm no expert, I just started keeping bees last year, and just started my top bar hive this year, there are a few other resources and top bar beekeepers in the area. First of all you should join the New Mexico Beekeepers Association (no real website yet soon hopefully), or at least get in touch with the president Ken Hays, (505-869-2369, located in Bosque Farms), whom can get you in touch with someone near by with some top bar hive experience.

Where in Albuquerque are you located? I'm in the North East heights (Menaul & Tramway area), I'd be happy to try and help if your close enough, but I can't promise much.
    -Robert<br /><a href=\"http://photos.bobsbees.com\" target=\"_blank\">Photos and Such</a>

I'm a bit north of Santa Fe, and I've got 7 hives, mostly TBH. This is my 4th season. I'd be happy to help, though I don't get down to ABQ much. You can email me at davidmcd@gmail.com.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been swamped with work and moving and an impending vacation, but I will follow up on the resources and get in touch with some of the locals off-line.

neal

Check out B Wrangler's site: http://bwrangler.madpage.com
    It's amazing, and it taught me tons about TBH beekeeping - along with Beesource that is [img]smile.gif[/img]
    -beebee