I finally have a picture of the swarm in the TBH
    http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6

Because the original topic is slow to load on dial-up, I chose to start a new topic titled "KTBH Results".

I'm planning on putting the hive on a pipe stand. My current thinking is to use a couple of pipe flanges screwed to the bottom of the hive with a short length of pipe screwed in. That way, I can drive two other pipes into the ground and slip these other two into them without worrying about the banged up ends.

[size="1"][ June 05, 2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Jon McFadden ][/size]
    Jon, N6VC/5

Very nice Jon, nice site as well.

Thanks Bruce.
    I added another picture showing the first comb and the follower board. There is controversy about using follower boards. At this point I will continue to use them because of the apparent success in getting straight comb built.
    I would like to express appreciation to Scott McPherson for the patience he exibited while I translated his instructions into the plans posted on the website.

[size="1"][ June 06, 2006, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Jon McFadden ][/size]
    Jon, N6VC/5

I think a follower is an wonderful idea for both getting straight comb and being able to limit the hive size when they are getting established. I just never got around to building one.

The TTBH, being the same as a medium langstroth, I just started them in a five frame nucs and worked my way up through eight, ten and then the long 33 frame box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi Michael,
    Having cleaned out a number of nests built into joist space, one reoccurring thing I’ve observed is the distance the bees will go horizontally to store honey. My length is based on a very scientific phenomena; the length of a 4’ board!
    One of the things I like about Scott's design is the minimal amount of saw work that needs to be done. The 1x12 doesn't need anything done to it. The 1x8 only needs the two sides beveled.

[size="1"][ June 18, 2006, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Jon McFadden ][/size]
    Jon, N6VC/5

>Having cleaned out a number of nests built into joist space, one reoccurring thing I’ve observed is the distance the bees will go horizontally to store honey.

Yep.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There's a controversy with a followerboard?
    Seems to work, otherwise there is too much space for them to keep comfortable...if one doesn't keep an eye on it, they could get crowded with a fast build up...but one should be more aware of what their bees are doing than to let that happen.
    Besides, the empty space makes a handy place to start do a division or Nuc for increase...I just drilled a hole in the back end and added some frames from the other side and a queen cell. But now I have to keep my tools somewhere else...

Roy

Hey Roy,
    That's a fantastic idea. I was going to keep my spare top bars there. I hadn't considered using it for tool storage, but that's another good thought.
    I have an old hose house I use for equipment storage. Now I know where I can stash stuff where my son won't find it.
    Jon, N6VC/5