Ok i got wood strips on the bars. Now i understand i need to put wax on. How? Melted wax and a paint brush? Where do I get wax? Can you melt wax in the microwave?

I melted a 100% beeswax candle in a small can set into a pot of water and smeared it on with a paint brush. Worked well for me, but I don't have any comparison... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Betterbee sells blocks of beeswax, but I think they are pretty big.

You should be able to find smaller quantities of beeswax in craft stores such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's in the candlemaking section.

I was also surprised to find some beekeeping supplies at a local nursery. You might call around to nurseries and greenhouses in your area and see if anyone carries beekeeping supplies. If you do find something then you could melt down a sheet of foundation.

You may also want to try doing without the wax. Some people on here do without it and don't have any problems.

I don't wax mine and they work fine. You can rub some wax on them if you like.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I don't want to leave much to chance. at least not until i've built up a symbotic relationship with the little creatures.

the little black bees looked like a third smaller than the ordinary bees. they had a black beehind (throax?) with lighter strips. I'll try and take a pix.

Funny, I waxed about half of my top bars, and the bees proceeded to build on only the bars without wax! So then I just took the wax off the others. I guess they preferred their own comb to the manmade kind [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm in my first year too, but I made a "boat" out of foil to fit the angled center strip and floated it in a cookie sheet of water on the stove. I put drippings from a beeswax candle in the boat and turned on both burners (medium heat). When the wax was melted, I just dipped the edge of the center strip in the boat and lifted it out. It cooled really fast and worked great. Here's a link with a couple of pictures I took of the setup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53396337@N00/

The first set of top bars (9) I put in, I also had a 2X5" ish strip of wax foundation I attached to the center strip with melted wax dripped from the same candle. So far all my combs have come out nice and straight (knock on wood).
    Kristal