Thread: supering tbh

I know there was a simmilar discusion here but again ,I have some questions.
    How to super a tbh?I have read that Michael sugests his approach of uper entrance,but I am not quite sure this will work.I mean the bees use supers in a lang, with ordinary frames ,but in tbh with no distance between the bars?Would they use the supper?
    What if I just pull out a bar in the midle of the hive,would that be disruptive to the broodnest?And then put there a lang supper?
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

Hi Sasha,

I've built two of what Michael refers to a "long hives"

http://www.drobbins.net/bee's/lh/lh.html

I'm getting ready to populate them
    my plan is to install a nuc in them, they're built so the frames will fit, and then start feeding topbars into the broodnest, gradually working the original frames out
    I'm going to manipulate them to keep the broodnest at one end of the hive
    after they get established I'm going to give them regular lang frames on the other end of the hive for honey storage
    that way I can super above the honey storage area since the frames will allow for vertical movement
    I guess if you wanted to use all topbars you could cut some notches in the honey storage topbars to achieve the same thing
    most people seem to suggest using a different width topbar for brood and honey so it wouldn't really be much trouble

about top entrances
    I was fortunate enough to hear Michael speak at a meeting
    he mentioned an idea I don't hear him push much here
    apparently one of the advantages of a lang hive is you're suppering directly above the brood nest
    this encourages the bees to store lot's of honey
    in the situation I mentioned you're supering above the honey storage area, not the brood nest
    Michael suggested that by using a top entrance in the honey storage end of the hive, then moving the entrance when you add supers so the entrnce is in the top super, you force the bees to travel thru the supers as they come and go, and this encourages them to use the supers
    this was my understanding of what Michael said, I hope I haven't mis-stated it
    hopefully he'll come along and clarify

Dave

>How to super a tbh?

Like this:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/LongHiveSupered.JPG

>I have read that Michael sugests his approach of uper entrance,but I am not quite sure this will work.

It's not a theory. That's a picture of a real hive supered.

>I mean the bees use supers in a lang, with ordinary frames ,but in tbh with no distance between the bars?Would they use the supper?

Why wouldn't they? They have to enter the super and then they go in the gap where the first bar is back 3/8" from the front of the hive. With my top entrance (as drobbins has explained) they have to go through the super. You can also leave a 1/4" gap between two drawn capped honey combs if you want more access into the super, but since all the returning bees have to go through it I haven't found it necessary.

>What if I just pull out a bar in the midle of the hive,would that be disruptive to the broodnest?

They will find a way to fill the gap with a comb if there is that much room. If you want you can make a 1/4" gap between CAPPED combs or brood combs and they will use it for access, but the problem is getting them to want to go into the super. On mine, the super is the entrance. They have no choice but to go through it. You can also bait it with empty drawn comb or even full comb.

>And then put there a lang supper?

I use langs for my supers. If I kept an eye on things, maybe I could get by with top bars in it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

i just supered my first long hive yesterday.
    i removed a frame of brood and eggs and gave it to a nuc. then i placed the super over the brood. my bars are 1 3/8" so a super takes a 3/8" spacer ten bars and another spacer. one spacer was left out for an extra entrance and two of the bars are drawn. i used a lang bottom upside down for the super cover. this hive had a mixture of lang frames and top bars so they are already used to using a top and bottom entrance. from mr. bush's above post it sounds like i might have some messy comb to deal with at the 1 3/8" gap. oh well if thats the worst thing that happens to me im doing pretty good [img]smile.gif[/img]
    all that is gold does not glitter

I would put a bar in the gap They WILL fill it and that comb may as well be on a bar. Put a 1/4" gap somewhere. Or move all the bars back to fill that gap (except for 1/4"), and leave the excess at the front (where they WON'T build a comb).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hm,I have just remembered that my tbh can be easily converted to a long hive by just using lang frames instead of bars.I will probably just put two frames in the midle of the broodnest and a super above it.
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

Sasha

a topbar hive that can take regular frames sure gives you a lot of flexibility doesn't it [img]smile.gif[/img]
    there's still a big choice to make though
    super above the broodnest, which is reported to increase honey production
    or super above the honey storage area which means you can get into the broodnest if you need to without disturbing the supers
    and if you use this second approach, use the top entrance trick I mentioned to force the bees into the supers
    all you can do is experiment and see what works best in your situation
    be sure to give reports on your result, I'm going to

Dave

It only gives you flexibility if you require swapping between tbhs and standard size langs. I run solely TBHS.

Why can't you shake a package for her? It isn't really any more work.

I will be selling package next year, but I don't know how many I will be able to fill yet. Maybe 250 packages, maybe only 20...so we'll see.
    Scot Mc Pherson<br />McPherson Family Honey Farms<br />Davenport, IA<br />BeeWiki: <a href=\"http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org</a> <br /><br />Pics:<br /> <a href=\"http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/\" target=\"_blank\">http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/</a>