For some reason, I had this idea that I would be able to SEE the brood through the caps of the brood cells. I find this impossible. Now that I'm settling into my role as beekeeper, I am taking a little more time and looking more closely at the comb. I can see the young larva, but I can't see anything through the capped comb, no matter how I move it around in the sunlight. Right now, the bees have built, started to build, on about twelve of my 24 bars, and it is all brood comb. I assume that's right for the spring buildup.

Is there a trick to seeing the capped brood that I'm missing, or do I just trust they're alright in there? (One of my problems is that my eyes want to focus on the mesh of my veil).

By the way, the bees are building nice straight comb now, and I'm giving them longer amounts of time between inspections.

pcooley
    You cant see brood under caps.You can of course remove the capping and then see it,but then the uncapped brood is lost.
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

Brood cappings are opaque and papery. Honey cappings are translucent and waxy. You can tell the color under the honey capping to some extent, but you can't see anything through a brood capping.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Sasha and Michael. I believe I got the idea of being able to see the brood from descriptions of the position and color of brood in relation to brood diseases. It had never been clear that you had to uncap the brood to see it.

It's good to know that I'm not blind.