I finally did some repair work on the crossed combs in my 1 y/o TBH. They had a lot of surplus honey and we are not even in the main flow yet so I did a bit of trimming and added empty bars between straight comb. After crushing, the drained combs went in my solar wax melter for rendering. I ended up with a nice quantity of beautiful yellow wax but the older darker combs don't seem to be melting. They have reduced somewhat but they have yet to completely melt. Will these eventually melt into a usable wax or are they a disposable by-product? Thanks.

>but the older darker combs don't seem to be melting. They have reduced somewhat but they have yet to completely melt. Will these eventually melt into a usable wax or are they a disposable by-product?

Old brood has a lot of cocoons in it. The cocoons absorb wax so you often get nothing from old dark brood combs without a press to squeeze it out.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ah, that explains the paper like texture. I'm planning on building a honey press, now it will do double duty. Thanks again.

>now it will do double duty

If you can put the press in a tub of boiling water and put the combs in a burlap sack and press it, you can extract a lot of wax from old brood combs.

Walter T. Kelly sells a wax press. Unfortunately it is expensive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I used to press wax in a cloth bag by putting it between two boards and using c-clamps, suspended over a bucket.

Mark
    the cheapskate beekeeper

[size="1"][ May 11, 2006, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: girl Mark ][/size]
    urban top bar hives in Oakland and Berkeley, CA...

Great idea, thanks Mark! I'm planning on building one from a scissor jack per the James Satterfield design but I have c-clamps, boards and a bunch of brood comb so I will try that first. Thanks again.

Now you've got me wondering about putting it between boards and parking my car on them...

Kudus, Mark. I'll have to give that a try, too.
    Jon, N6VC/5

>Now you've got me wondering about putting it between boards and parking my car on them...

How will you catch the wax?

Thinking ahead takes all the fun out of it Scrape it off the boards, or pick it up off the gravel and then run it through the solar melter, I suppose.

Nifty!