Hi,

I have a lady wanting to purchase a NUC from me to put into a TBH.
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with this.

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of the NUC and setting it on top of the TBH so the bees have to exit through the TBH.

Thanks,

Kieran
    \"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree<br />And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made<br />nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee<br />and live alone in the bee-loud glade.\"<br />-- WB Yeats

If they have brood in the nuc they won't leave it , so I dont think this is a good solution.

One option is to cut out the comb and attach it to a TBH top bar- which is messy and difficult (is she an experienced beekeeper?).

The other question is, did she build her hive already? It's possible to go TBH using Langstroth dimensions (TBH sides dont necessarily have to be sloped like most people build them), which would make it a lot easier to start with a nuc.
    urban top bar hives in Oakland and Berkeley, CA...

She has built it. She is actually over in Berkley.
    I believe this is her first hive. I may suggest she just bring out the hive and I will transfer the NUC to here TBH.
    Kieran
    \"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree<br />And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made<br />nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee<br />and live alone in the bee-loud glade.\"<br />-- WB Yeats

Murphy

Good Luck.

Only thing I can think of to do is to tie the nuc frames onto the top bars, or maybe take a staple gun and just staple them. IF the bars are long enough and they will fit in the hive

If not y ou are in for a lot of work cutting out comb and tying it to a top bar.

Personally I think the right thing is for her to make some frames that fit and cut the combs and tie them into the frames, or make some "swarm catching frames" to put them in.

But I suppose if you cut the sides and bottom loose, and remove the side and bottom bars and either cut the top bar to fit (if it's too long) or screw it to her top bar (if it's too short) and cut the comb to fit the hive, it might work.

Rather than a hole in the bottom, how about a nuc with no bottom? Or a piece patched in on the ends if it's too long for the TBH.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If the TBH bars are the same length as standard frames, why not use a Japanese hand saw(JHS) to cut the end frames and bottom bar away to match the shape of her TB Hive shape? The JHS cuts on a pull stroke so there is not a lot of vibration to upset the bees.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

......or a compound-jaw lopper for pruning trees. you can make slow steady cuts most of the way through from both sides and then twist the last bit off by hand.
    My Mom's other kids are smarter than me, but i'm not nearly as nice.