Thread: starter strips?

If I use small cell starter strips will the bees continue the small cell or will they build what they want?
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

>If I use small cell starter strips will the bees continue the small cell or will they build what they want?

They wil build what they want with starter strips or with 4.9mm sheets. [img]smile.gif[/img] Probably about 5.1mm if they aren't regressed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

what exactly is regressed?thanks!!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Bees reared on 5.4mm do not seem to want to draw 4.9mm cells. They want to draw about 5.1mm cells. Bees reared on the 5.1mm cells are happy to build 4.9mm cells. Bees reared on 4.9mm cells may even build smaller cells. This process is regression. Regressed bees are bees from smaller cells rather than 5.4mm cells.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

gotcha!!thanks!!

Good, simple explaination even I can follow.
    I just looked at comb being built on 4.9 in my TBH 2" starter strips, and it looks like they are exactly following the embossing, though I didn't take time to measure, but the cells are very regular, cannot tell where the starter strips ended and the natural begins... Amazing.
    I am sure they are not regressed bees...

Roy

Some of the bees from Pierco seem to be willing to draw the 4.9mm.