Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: absconded bees

Hello,beebee

It seems to me that you have to put a follower board,or more simply said you need to gather your bees in a small area something like a area of one comb or two maybee.Thats something no one mentioned to me when I started with my tbh.I f you leave them to much area they will get a bit confused and disorganised especialy when they are starting a new hive,without comb brood etc.They are building it in the back of the hive maybe because it is the warmest area in your hive,also you have to check is your hive nivelated.
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

Thanks Sasha, that's a good tip. What is "nivelated"?

I checked on them last night, and they are building comb (almost 5 bars worth now!). I also noticed some comb built on the back wall of the hive - should I remove that? I also moved the combs closer to the front of the hive to encourage them to keep building there.

And most exciting of all, I FOUND MY QUEEN!!! It was much easier to spot her now that they're sprawled out on comb instead of in a clump.
    I'm thrilled to know there is one now, and hope that means everything will be on track from now on. I'm not sure why they absconded in the first place either - maybe they just didn't like the smell of the hive. Maybe there was too much space like you mentioned.

-beebee

-What is "nivelated"?

ventilated fits the context.

-I also noticed some comb built on the back wall
    of the hive - should I remove that?

thats burr comb. that could be your first taste of beekeeping [img]smile.gif[/img]
    if you have a 3/8" wide spacer between your last bar and hive wall it will reduce or eliminate the burr.

except for your style of manipulating your hive i dont think theres a right or wrong to were the bees build. the bees are probably right even when theyre wrong.
    all that is gold does not glitter

Nivelated is word that does not exist yet in english language [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I meaned a little tool that you use when building a masonry wall or such and you want to check is it all straight.Its main parts consists of a little water and a small air bubble.
    Sasha from Serbia

you mean a 'level' (the tool) or 'check the hive is leveled'?

Mark
    urban top bar hives in Oakland and Berkeley, CA...

Yes girl Mark ,that is what I mean.

Oh - yes, I did check to make sure it's level.

That's good to know about the burr comb - I'll add a spacer.

So am I wrong to try to move the comb towards the front of the hive??

Thanks again,
    beebee

Has anyone mentioned the possibility that his queen may not be bred yet? Therefore, may be trying to take flights to breed, may have a damaged wing from a chill or defective queen cell.
    That's all I can think of left...
    It is good to have such good people close to help you out.
    Keep us posted!

Roy

Beebee ,where is your entrance located and wha is the entrance.Do you have a hole in the hive,or do you have a kind of bottom board.Can you turn the hive so that the entrance is where the comb is.Generally I think it is best no to disrupt the bees when they start to build from nothing.

The entrance has a bottom board with an opening above it the width of the bottom of the hive. The entrance is oriented away from neighbors and gardens, so it's difficult to move. I did relocate some of the comb closer to the front.

The queen seemed ok, she was moving along well when I saw her. I bought her with a package, so I figured she was already bred.

RBar, you're right - it is nice to have such good help! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The entrance has a bottom board with an opening above it the width of the bottom of the hive.

Er,what?
    If you mean that the hive has a bottom board you can just rotate the hive so that the combs come near the entrance,or just open a new entrance on prefered side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12