I hived 2 package of bees in a top bar hives. I have mostly langs but wanted to give it a try. So far so good. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/dbolton1/?

oops I guess I messed up the pic post

Hi There DBOLT>. Looks like you have some nice straight comb there on your top bars! Congrats!

I can't tell from the pic what you did to center the comb on the bar.

I used wood strips 3/8" x 3/8" square stock, nailed to top bar that I waxed. It seamed to work preaty good. I hived these on the 11th of this month. It just amazes me how fast they can put a hive togeather. I attended a topbar class 6 years ago that les crowder put on in NM and one of the guys there said that was how he started his without any wax at all. I'm just now getting to put some of that to the test. I have a hard time breaking away from the standard hives though. I thought I would see if the natural comb with bars rotated into the brood nest could help fight off the mites any. Who knows it is all fun.

yep. WHere are you at? I graduated from High school in Adams county... Still have relatives and friends there.

I live near Knightstown close to the Soldiers and Sailors home. It is east of Indy prob. 30 miles in Rush County. It is probably 40 miles to Richmond and my parents live 16 miles North of Richmond where I grew up (/Randolph County).

i made a bunch of square stock guides and they also seem to be doing well. i started out making angles but evolved into the square type. i found them easier. once you have good comb you dont need any guide at all. les crowder was here in northern california for the almonds and did a seminar in berkley. i recomend his seminars.
    all that is gold does not glitter