I have a TBH that I built by using and slightly modifying Bee Wrangler's design. The girls have been in the new TBH for about 2 weeks now and have done very well. I have done some fairly frequent inspections to make sure that everything was going well with them and have noticed no sign of any swarm cells or any other porblems... until tonight.

As I approached the hive around 7:30 PM, I noticed that there were many, many of the girls hanging in a cluster on the front of the hive. The ball was about three times the size of a softball and was hanging from the center of the entrance of the hive. Then I noticed that a smaller ball (about the size of a baseball) was hanging from the cover on one of the sides of the hive.

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on? I have made sure that they were not honey bound by placing an empty bar at the back of the bood area. I have also made sure that the brood area is not crowded by placing an empty bar in the brood area. And as I said, I have found no swarm cells. So, what's up with them?? And what, if anything do I need to do for them?

Thanks in advance for any information and help you may be able to give.

Beebiz

[size="1"][ April 18, 2006, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: beebiz ][/size]
    \"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!\"

They are bearding. It's a hot day. Give them some room or ventilation or both. Maybe an empty bar in the brood nest to give them some cluster space there.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks MB! Tomorrow I will be adding an empty bar in the bood nest and proping the top open on the end that is opposite the enterance. I already have a 1/8" screen bottom like you suggested for better ventilation and for additional help in varroa control.

This is my first TBH, and I LOVE it!! It is so much easier to work and sooooo much easier on my back. Thank you and Bee Wrangler for all of your guidance and help concerning TBH's!!!

Beebiz
    \"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!\"

I need a good photo of a bearding hive for my lectures on ventilation. Any handy?