The fifth crew didn't show up for this art contest,
    http://homepage.interaccess.com/~net...899contest.jpg

Wojtek, Chicago

your right, i like it. thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]
    all that is gold does not glitter

Yeah, I liked it. Kind of reminds one of a certain cell phone advertisement.

I also like that long-handled, curved-blade knife. Did you make it yourself, or is that a standard item across the pond?
    "Before I speak, I have something I'd like to say. . . . I will try to keep this short as long as I can." Yogi Berra

Yes, I did. I was experimenting so I did a few of it. I described it in the post in last December but to save you searching it is quoted below.
    You could see also: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~net...ekshives2.html
    This podcinacz / undercutter works very well when removing combs for harvesting, however when putting a comb back in the hive, since the cut is very thin, bees will reattach it. So after cutting with this tool I use another tool to make the cut wider, about ¼”. This is done with metal rod bent in slightly less then 90 degrees. This way distance between wall is bigger and there is much less reattachment or no reattachment at all.

“I see some questions regarding "podcinacz", so I will try to answer and, by the way, to present two more thing.
    The blade is some kind thin ( about 0.5mm, or slightly more) spring-like steel, which I shaped on rotary grinder. Important thing is the width of the neck of this blade because this determine stiffness and flexibility. Too flexible or too stiff or too long is not practical.
    The first one I made was too delicate and too flexible. Good for undercutting and excellent for undercutting from a floor requiring 90 degree angle but for scrubbing it was too flexible, also a bit too flexible for cutting off combs with honey during harvesting. This one I can bend much over 90 degrees without loosing original shape. Handle, - any kind of a hard wood. Dennis, - if you like the handle, look at the picture I added to my home page. Probably you will like it even more.
    http://homepage.interaccess.com/~net...ezramkowy.html

How to use it? Just press sufficiently strong so the blade will be flat on a surface you try to cut something off it ( as on the pictures)and move up along a surface, or horizontally on a bottom, (rarely necessary).
    Application: Undercutting attached combs to a side walls or a bottom.
    Scrubbing wax or propolis.
    Picking up some pieces of wax fallen on a bottom.
    Cutting off combs with honey from a bar during harvesting.
    And, the most necessary….: This is the second related subject. We all know how difficult it is to get to a combs from the brood side. I solved this problem with something I called “ślepy plaster” or, in English could be “phantom comb”. This is 2”wide bar with attached
    the same thickness pink styrofoam shaped exactly as transverse internal shape of hive. This the first bar and is removable. (Serves also as insulation)
    When we want to inspect combs from this side this “phantom comb” is slide up living 2” wide space free to get to the first brood comb. This 2” is sufficient space to use easily “podcinacz” to do all necessary cuts. Works beautifully!!

Hawk.
    Certainly, you all may call it “undercutter” and it is OK. You even call me a Bill instead of Wojtek
    I mention before what “podcinacz” means in English and the word “undercutter” defines equally well in English what “podcinacz” defines in Polish. This is too little think to elaborate on it. This is quite natural think that certain words are adaptable from language to language or substituted by local language. Most of English words are adopted Latin and not only.

The second think I wonted to share are this two holes in TB in the picture, but I will write about it in separate post. In the meantime use your imagination.
    Wojtek”