Thread: starter strips

Hello,

I built 2 long kenya top bar hives and have put wooden starter strips on the bars and waxed them. The wooden strips are set horizontally in a groove. They are the wooden strips that come off of the "wedge" in "wedged top bars" for langstroth hive frames. They are not beveled, and were installed as is, except wax.

Now I'm having second thoughts to if this will work with a "swarm"? Any thoughts??

Also has any one tried strips of waxed plastic foundation? I've read about troubles with the bees chewing off the wax foundation starter strips. I've been using plastic ones in my langstroth frames and they work good so far.

I just put a swarm in just the same setup you described with your top bars. I don't see why it won't work. I'll know in a few days after they get settled in. My first try at a tbh. Good Luck

I'm pretty fond of the beveled comb guides.

The wooden starter strips are probably better if they are pretty thin. More than likely, they will pick a corner of the strip to use for center and build off of it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"pick a corner of the strip to use for center and build off of it"

Thats my guess too, or they will completely ignore the guides.

Interested to see your results dbolt, good luck to you too.

>or they will completely ignore the guides

Yes, sometimes they do that...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

dbolt,

How are the bees taking to your starter strips? Had time to check?

So far they have built comb on 3 bars and doing great. I am a little concerned as they are possibly not the exact spacing the bees seam to want. The third bar is attached on one side of the wooden strip and top bar. Since this is my first try at top bar. Time will tell and I will adjust. Still think I will continue mostly with my langs. Good Luck

If you start feeding empty frames into the center when they start wandering you'll get them straight in the middle of the brood nest.