I have some old bars that I want to get rid of (they are too wide) but they always seem to have brood or eggs in them. I'd hate to kill the brood by simply removing the bars. What should I do? Thanks.

As the weather warms and you no longer have to worry about getting chilled brood, begin to move them out towards the outside of the super instead of the middle. Then move them up to the next super, provided you have the same size super above it.

you could cut the comb off the bar and reatatch it to the new size bar with rubber bands. another altrnative might be to move the bar back (meaning towards storage) every time you do an inspection.
    all that is gold does not glitter

I just keep working them to the outside of the broodnest. Eventually they will fill them with nectar. If it's too FAT, you can use a sharp cold uncapping knife (cutting bottom to top so you don't stress the comb too much) to cut the protruding honey off.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks! I'll get on it.

Hi Heritage,

The easiest way is just to move it toward the honey storage area and then harvest it for strained honey later in the year.

But, if the weather is warm enough, the could could be cut off and placed horizontally, on the floor, at the back of the hive. The brood will hatch. The bees will salvage any pollen and honey. Then the combs can be removed and rendered. If the combs have lots of honey in them, make sure they are in a pan that will contain any honey that might flow out from them. Be sure to leave a little space between the combs so that hatching bees aren't trapped.

Regards
    Dennis