Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1

    Post

    A couple of weeks ago I went through one of my ooold hives (not mine anymore)- we installed this thing in spring 2002 and have never treated it with chemicals and have had no mite or disease problems. It's booming (mostly brood at this point- the beekeepers say that last year it produced lots of bees and not as much honey as should be expected).

    I got a photo from that session that I particularly like- and someone on this forum asked me for a photo of one of our urban TBH's.
    http://girlmark.com/bees/top_bar_bee..._and_veils.JPG

    feel free to use it for other websites or whatever.

    Here my friends are going through it with our homemade veils and one homemade TBH hive tool (longer than normal, though you might not be able to tell in the photo). THe tool is made from a piece of scrap metal that's been pounded with the use of a bike-powered (for the blower) coal forge that we built a few years back (you dont' really need such a device to bend some metal, but it was fun) . We all eventually graduated to storebought smokers, but for a few years we built those too out of tall metal cans and homemade bellows made from 'pleather' scavenged from a purse or two found in the local trash.

    ALso in the photo, we've removed about 4 or 5 combs already and put them into a nuc not visible here. That's the BACK of the hive they're working at, and it's mid-March. The hive box was FULL to within one or two combs, and we've had a 'bad winter' to boot.

    It reminds me of the discussion a month or so ago where one Langstroth troll was saying we TBH'ers have slow buildup because of lack of foundation and Dennis was saying that he's observed quicker comb drawing without foundation under some circumstances. I think this hive falls under that latter rule.

    Some of my friends and former beekeeping partners from when I first started, own several four-year-old hives now that have survived with no disease and no chemical treatments (and haven't had real losses to speak of either). I"m going to try and photograph the brood nests of these to see what cell size has had to do with it, though we didn't know about small cell until recently and so weren't intentionally regressing anything during that time.

    Unfortunately, my first attempt at cell measurement photos of this boomer hive didn't turn out well.

    I think we're also going to experiment with supering TBH's this year. Any suggestions?

    [size="1"][ April 05, 2006, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: girl Mark ][/size]
    urban top bar hives in Oakland and Berkeley, CA...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,752

    Post

    >I think we're also going to experiment with supering TBH's this year. Any suggestions?

    You can just pry two bars apart 1/4" and put on a super, if the dimensions work out. If not, then fill in any gap with a board somehow. I super the ones that are Langstroth dimensions but haven't attempted it on the KTBH.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,598

    Post

    if you put a ruler or scale next to the comb when you photograph it, you can later take the picture in some photo-editing software and cut the scale out and drag it around like a ruler

    http://www.drobbins.net/bee's/closeup.jpg

    Dave

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads