Thread: Pollen traps

Question

Does anyone have designs for pollen traps that would work with tbhs that have enterances on the end.

Several cheap traps go on the front of a regular hive. They could probbly be adapted to a TBH. You can make one yourself. The essential concept is that the workers have to go up through some #5 hardware cloth to get into the hive and the pollen falls down through some #7 into the drawer which has a bottom made of screen door screen. So, in other words, you have the bottom of the drawer made of screen door screen. Above that you have #7 hardware cloth. The bees come in between the #7 and the #5 over their heads and go up through the #5 to get into the hive. You also need some kind of drone escape. I've seen a simple 3/8" hole used for this, but then a lot of bees will bypass the trap and use the 3/8" hole. You can buy the drone escape cones and put them on the 3/8" hole (or several of them like the Sundance). You could put a Sundance II on top of one of my long mediums and the only complication is that the entrance will be on the side instead of the front. If you prop the lid up and get them used to a front/side entrance first and then add the trap it should work fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Why does one want to trap pollen from the bees?thanks!!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

>>Why does one want to trap pollen from the bees?thanks!!

Well you might collect pollen for a few reasons.
    1). Personal consumption
    2). To sell along with your honey
    3). To make into real pollen patties and feed back to your bees. (rather than using pollen substitute)

I'm sure there are others but my mind is blank. (not unusual [img]smile.gif[/img] )
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I have bought bee pollen granules for years and eaten them but..they look like small brown irregular clumps about the size of a bb..the pollen I see on my bees are..red,yellow,white,etc and real powerdy like flour..nothing like the bee pollen i have bought..what is the difference?
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

here's a pic of the mouse guard knocking pollen off the bees back in January
    looks like the bb's you describe

http://www.drobbins.net/bee's/pollen/DSC01258.JPG

Dave

Betterbee has a plastic front mounted trap for about $15 plus shipping. I used it on my tbh last summer. Works great.

wow that a pretty neat pic!! how do the bees remove the dead bees from the hive with the mouse guard on? also..is bee pollen just plain ole pollen? apparently they dont do anything to it..I guess one could just go out and lick some flowers and have the same effect??lol

The bees roll in the pollen and collect it on their hair. Then they suck up some nectar and use it to mix with the pollen as they comb it off of their hair and pack it into their pollen baskets. "Bee Pollen" is actually little pellets of pollen and nectar that are constructd by the bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>how do the bees remove the dead bees from the hive with the mouse guard on?

I guess they drag em out thru the screen
    there were only a few on the bottom board
    of course we didn't actually have winter here this year, maybe they all made it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

>Betterbee has a plastic front mounted trap for about $15 plus shipping. I used it on my tbh last summer. Works great.

Ordered 5 for this year, can't wait to see how they do. Simple concept with a lot of potential, I think.

The only problem I had with it was that sometimes when first put onto the hive the bees would manage to squeeze below the "floor" and get into the pollen drawer. At the end of the day, there would sometimes be a dozen or so bees in the drawer. It seemed to be a matter of training. I placed a piece of quarter inch mesh between the "floor" and the drawer for a week or so to ensure there was no way the bees would be able to squeeze through those openings when the trap was put on.