Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: moldy comb

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Mateo County, CA
    Posts
    1

    Post

    I lost one of my two top bar hives this winter, probably due to a combination of insufficient food stores and an ant invasion when I tried to feed. I was cleaning out the hive box to get ready for a new package, and the existing comb is a bit moldy. I stuck the bars with moldy comb in my freezer, but I left 2 small clean looking combs. Should I get rid of it all before the new girls arrive? It seems that having a few combs might help them get started, but I don't want to risk disease with moldy comb. And should I do anything besides sweep out? The hive looks ok inside.
    Carolyn from Emerald Hills, CA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,142

    Post

    I'd give them all to the new bees. They will celan them up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Casper, WY
    Posts
    526

    Post

    Hi Carolyn

    Moldy combs are no problem for the bees. They easily clean up such combs.

    Regards
    Dennis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northren MN
    Posts
    57

    Post

    I agree. I put old mody comb in with package of bees. Week later if was as if the comb was flat wax. They tore it down and made fresh comb to work with. This was in spring. They will also do the same over winter as long as the colony is strong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads