Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Jumbo Combo Tbh

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  beebee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Guys,

With all the talk about tbh size, production, supering, etc., I added the plans for a Jumbo Combo Tbh to my website. This is a combination of ideas from my tbh and my combo long hives. It is rectangular. It has the depth of my tbh. And if a rabbit is cut in the upper edge of the long sides, it will accomodate standard length frames and equipment like supers, excluders, etc.

If this hive is to be run as a tbh, a 3/8 x 5/8 strip of wood should be tacked into the rabbit to prevent the bees from depositing propolis there. These strips could be easily removed and standard equipment put into this hive. Or custom frames, that would be much deeper than deeps could be built.

I haven't built this one. But it would be an interesting and flexible hive to play with...errr...test some ideas about product, comb depth, etc.

You can see it at the bottom of this page:

http://bwrangler.litarium.com/tanzanian-top-bar-hive/

Best Regards
Dennis

See less See more
#6 ·
-Are the differing widths on top bars necessary?

are you refering to 1 1/4 brood and 1 1/2 stores?
if so im using 1 3/8 all across the board and it works. im not doubting that the two seperate sizes are "better". one advantage to 1 1/2 bars that isnt usualy mentioned is that since 2"x lumber is 1 1/2" there would be one less cut per bar when making it.

#9 ·
Hi PaulR,

The jumbo combo hive plans can accomodate 26 1 1/4" top bars or 17 1 3/8" wide top bars. The hive length is a compromise between the requirements for these two top bar hive widths.

That probably wasn't clear in the writeup. I'll go back and edit when I get a chance.

Thanks
Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.