Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

tbh's in the far north?

6K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I'm intrigued by tbh's and would like to try one or two this summer. But, I read that tbh's are better adapted for tropical areas, or areas with mild winters. We live in northern Minnesota and the word "tropical" or "mild winters" are seldom used in the same sentence with "Minnesota". Any advice? Will they work in our climate?

Thanks,

Jimmy

#29 ·
the hive was started from a nuc (reused comb). funny you should mention foulbrood. while i didn't see any capped brood, or dead larvae per see ou can see in one of the photos that there is a small patch of brrod comb with about 10 or so dead bees in them, all facing "butt-out". i'll take some better photos this weekend. like i said, this was my first hive so i'm not very experienced with all the diseases out there. if it's afb should i try and treat? could it spread to a second hive if placed near it (is so how far away should another hive be)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.