Thread: Requeening

I've got a TBH that is probably too hot for the queen's own good. I'm interested in feral bees and would rather not replace her with a "production" queen if i can reasonably get around it. I know i'm in AHB territory so hot hives are a concern on several levels. This may mean that i ought not let them raise their own, but if there's a way, i'd really rather do it that way. Looking for input here.

I have other hives that aren't as hot, yet, that could serve as a source for queenage, but they are Langs. Could i use this resource and if so, how would one go about providing eggs/larva to the de-queened TBH? Could i graft comb containing eggs/larva into the TBH?

Do i need to wait four days after removal of the existing queen and then go back in and remove all queen cells? or is there a different protocall to follow? What would be the timing on introducing the eggs/larva?

If the above wont work, can a new queen be introduced along with a nuc into the TBH? A nuc from the TBH?

Secondly, when the dispatching of the current queen is to occur, any suggestions on a good way to find her? There were a lot lot lot of bees in this hive the last time i saw it. It was back in November i think. I know, too long, but have had a few "obsticals". Hope to get out there within a week or so. By then it "mite" not even be an issue.

Sorry-so many questions.

Thank you in advance for any help-j
    My Mom's other kids are smarter than me, but i'm not nearly as nice.

jim,

IMO,as long a you have gangsta bees living in da hood, your going to have a difficult time raising calm queens. It may take several tries and it might get worse before it gets better. I wouldn't risk it.
    In your situtation, you might consider using a cordovan italian queen. This way you would have a color indicator if the queen were to be supercided.

[size="1"][ March 09, 2006, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Sungold ][/size]

Sungold-
    Thank you for your reply.
    I'm sure you're right about risking it- no sence saturating the area with gangsta drones. The real serious ones dont get tatoos anymore so you cant tell the wannabees from the real stuff, except by their behaviour.
    Regards,j
    My Mom's other kids are smarter than me, but i'm not nearly as nice.