I brought up the idea of building a TBH at our "getting started in beekeeping" meeting last night..I was told it would be illegal..apparently somewhere it says all bee keepers in TN must use standard langstrom hives..??any ideas??thanks,keith
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Most states have a law that says you have to have movable combs so they can be inspected. Florida actually specifies "Langstroth" but they seem willing to accept any movable comb hives. As long as it's inspectable, you shouldn't have any problems. The purpose of the law was not to limit the kinds of hives you could have, but to reqire movable combs. I have NEVER heard of anyone being prosecuted for having a top bar hive anywhere.

The reason was so they could get AFB under control back when there were many box hives and bee gums.

I can't get to it right now but maybe this link will work:
    http://www.state.tn.us/agriculture/regulate/apiary.html
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks!!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Hey blkcloud,

I just noticed your post and thought I'd share with you what I found out. I live in West TN and have talked to our State Apiarist Gray Haun about Top Bar Hives. Though he has kept bees for years, Gray was not familiar with TBH's. He always kept his bees in a Langstroth hive.

Though unfamiliar with the TBH's, he told me that the only requirement for hives kept in TN was that they have removable combs so that they could be inspected. When I explained the design of the TBH, he told me that as long as the top bars holding the combs could be removed and inspected there was no problem

If you have not done so, call him. Gray is an extremely nice guy and seems to want to help as much as he can.

By the way, have you heard about the Producer Diversification Cost Share program here in TN? It is for all kinds of agriculture.... including beekeeping!! For covered expenses, they will reimburse up to 35% of your cost. And, it's not hard for a beekeeper to qualify.... even if you only have one or two hives!! Have talked to them too!! If you'd like more information, PM me and I'll send you a link where you can learn more.

Robert
    \"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!\"

pm sent. thanks!!