Hybrid View

I am building new hives for my girls and plan on moving them in. Those of you that have experience with TBH's what would be your advice?

My old hives are about 24 inch long bars, the new ones are 18 with about 15-15 1/2 inches of space for comb. I figured I would move them in early spring before they built up much new comb - would this be best? What would be the best way to move them in? Just dump the bees in like a new swarm and remove the old hive? I could attach the smaller new bars to the longer bars and let them build comb on them then remove them and put them in the new hive. I'd really rather not mess with the folding type frames, detaching the present combs and moving them to the new hives that way.

Ok, I've rambled on enough now, what would the pro's do in this situation? Thanks for all the help!!!

The bees are in the hives with the 24" long bars right? Why not cut those bars to 18"? You can cut one end and cut the comb with a sharp knife. I guess if you just want to do a split you could just attach the short bars to some empty long bars like you're saying. You could also just brush a lot of bees into the new hive with a queen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF