I just received the Nov/Dec Issue of Backwoods Home Magazine and there is an excellent article on building a TBH. It even gives the link to this forum at the end of the article. Good info and good pictures. It looks like a nice hive.

I tried a couple of issues of Backwoods and was disappointed........ Just not enough details on the "how to" sections. Perhaps I did not give them enough of a chance.

I long for the old days when Mother Earth News was good and less commercial. (late 60's and early 70's)

Whats and old ex "hippie" to do????????

I have most of M.E.N. up until somewhere in the mid eighties. Once I saw an article on how to build your own exercise machine, I knew the yuppie takover was complete.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

TMEN in the beginning was really a great magazine back in the days when everyone was dreaming of going back to the land. After the Shuttleworth's sold the magazine, it did slide downhill a lot, but it has rebounded some. IMO, It's not as good as in it's early days, but still much better than the few years it was at it's worst.

Here's an article on building a four frame extractor from an early issue. Probably not too useful for a TBH, but for someone who has standard hives, not a surplus of cash, and is reasonably competent as a do-it-yourselfer (and a scrounge)....

https://www.motherearthnews.com/top_...f_an_Extractor

Now back to 'Backwoods Home Magazine', their web site had this article on basic beekeeping for new beekeepers if anyone is interested:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders88.html

and, ATTENTION JIM FISCHER, your product was mentioned!