Thread: press

Hi,
    I was looking at my home made grape press and I can see no reason it could not be used for honey extracting for top bar users.

Have a look at any brewing supplies websites to see what I mean.I find them in thier winemaking equipment section,grape crushers,presses.The crusher that sits on top has cutters to mash up the fruit/combs,the press then squeezes out the juice/honey.You could probaly get by with just the press,mash up the combs in a bucket then tip into the press.,we do that with our grapes.You should be able to run a few combs through at a time

There are stainless steel models which would make them much more food grade than my version.

Any one using one or has thoughts on them?
    Thank You
    Beebloke

I'm sure a press woudl work fine. For most of us they are just too expensive, but if you HAVE one you may as well use it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Beebloke,
    I would like to see a photo of your homeade press. I'm planning on making a press for my apples (have some apple trees) this winter. I think I have enough steel and oak to make one. Will be using a large vice thread for the masher.

I wish this had some high resolution pics, but you can get the idea

http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/press.htm

Dave