In May I hived two swarms in empty TBHs I had built the year before. I checked them about two weeks after housing them - they were both queenright & building straight on the bars. I have been busy for the past month& didn't get a chance to check them until last weekend. They are both really big strong hives now. One of them has crossed the comb over on at least 7 or 8 combs & I wasn't able to pull them apart. I decided I would pose the question to this forum. Should I go in now & correct the comb - which would mean cutting anywhere from 3" to 6" of crossover comb at the top of the bars or should I wait until the comb has cured & darkened a bit? I had a collapse with my first TBH (which is doing fantastic!) & am somewhat hesitant to go be cutting into the new white comb. They have built massive combs which fill the entire shape of the hive & probably weigh over 5 lb.

Thanks-
    Alethea

I'd wait for a cool day and cut out all the cross comb and scrap it for honey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael-

I'll go ahead then & cut it out. It has been very foggy here every morning so the weather is right!

Alethea

if any has brood sew it on to a top bar and put it
    back into your weakest hive. i've been using dent-
    al floss but am looking for alternatives as it frays and tangles the bees a bit. i don't know if
    it saves many bees but if you have a minute it's kinda satisfying. beware of ants after a major
    cross comb cutting. we can have the ants at an
    armed detante and then with spilled honey they are
    terrible.
    all that is gold does not glitter

stangardener- I've been using rubber bands. The wider (approx. 1/4") style. They may cut into the comb some but that hasn't seemed to hurt anything.

thank you ! the rubber bands sound less labor intensive.
    all that is gold does not glitter