Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

supering a tbh

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Can anyone with experience putting a regular super (with foundation or without) on a tbh comment on that process? Do the bees use it easily even if there is only a single bar out for access, or is it hard to get them to move up? Will foragers go directly through the super if you give them and entrance there? Do they web up the space that is missing the bar & comb? Also how about a super spanning across two tbh's for them to share it?

#2 ·
>Can anyone with experience putting a regular super (with foundation or without) on a tbh comment on that process?

On my TTBH it's just a standard Langstroth long box so the bars fit down into the rabbets and the super just goes on top. The normal entrance is already a gap on the front bar, so they continue to exit through that and find their way out the super.

On my KTBH the issue is that the bars are on top. Adding a super (which it's not sized to do) would leave a gap at the front the height of the bars and I'm not sure the bees would use the super.

>Do the bees use it easily even if there is only a single bar out for access

On mine the gap at the front was already how they got out, so they natural continued to do so. They had to go through the super to exit the hive.

>Will foragers go directly through the super if you give them and entrance there?

Especially if it's the only way into the hive.

>Do they web up the space that is missing the bar & comb?

Not if it's the way out.

>Also how about a super spanning across two tbh's for them to share it?

Sounds like an attempt at a two queen hive.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.