Thread: hive update

My swarm has been in the hive now for exactly two weeks. They have drawn some combs on 11 bars. I have a mixture of eggs, larvae, and what looks like capped larvae. I also have a pretty good amount of honey at the top of the bars, some of this is capped now as well. There are bands of pollen running across the combs. They seem to be doing well. I have spotted the queen making her way across the combs. So far everthing looks good!

I am going to ask a general question that I know does not have a specific answer due to weather, hive strength, nectar flow, etc, but I'll ask anyway. My hive is 28 bars 24" long X 1 3/8" wide. This is the colony's first year so I know honey production won't be up to par, but what could I expect (on average) from a hive this size? What is a general expectation of honey production? 20lbs? 50lbs? First year? Subsequent years? I would like to have some sort of idea of what is expected. Thanks for all the help!

Heritage
    Not sure where you are located. But it s0ounds like you are off to a good start!

Depending on your location, the weather and so forth you should be able to cull a bar or two of honey at least.

I'm in Virginia. I assume the "bar or two" is for this year? How about next? What would be an average for the bar 24" long with a hive 11" deep?

Your hive dimensions are close to mine we use the same length bar mine are 16 inches deep and hold 30 bars.
    Don't expect them to get past 15 bars tops first season (but anything can happen) I agree with David you can take a bar or two, I would'nt. Out of curisoty I will weigh a couple of mine that vary in sizes and post them on my web site with a ruler guide tommorrow. I hope this gives you a general idea. There are others here that have already harvested from a TBH, I think we all run our own dimensions though.
    Procrastination is the assassination of inspiration.
    www.customwoodkitsinternational.com