Thread: Hive Update

It's been exactly 1 month since I installed the 3 lb. package. During that period I've disrupted brood nest construction once to clean up the skewed combs.
    Here's a few pics that I took during the inspection. http://tinyurl.com/bgeng
    The hive as 13 brood bars at 1.25". 12 of these have comb in various stages of developement (anywhere from 10% to 80% of final area).
    The main thing I noticed is they seem to have bounced back nicely from the comb removal and have constructed straight comb in it's place. Also I was excited to catch the queen in action. Check out the pics.

Congrats on encouraging them to make straight comb . Nice pictures... I couldn't find the queen - where is she?
    I smile like this because I have no idea what I\'m doing :-)

AJ- I added another picture with her circled. It's hard to tell but she's laying an egg. I was surprised I got a pic of that.

In the photo four bees can be seen below the queen and facing her. The queen court? Immediately below that court are five bees facing another bee. In the upper right hand corner of the photo there appears to be another group of 4 (or 5?) bees in a court. Could it bee they don't know the real thing from the imposters?

I also noticed the group below the queen. Maybe the bee in the center is dancing?

-Pete
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

Hi Guys,

I've always been impressed by how different the bees can draw out their own comb as compared to foundation based comb. It's almost a non-issue when the bees do it their way.

Thanks KSBee for the pics.

I know you are having a lot of fun learning about tbhing and the bees themselves.

Regards
    Dennis