I recently installed a package into a medium lang on small cell, but I want to convert it to a TBH. They've started drawing out the foundation and laying eggs, and I don't want to disrupt them. My idea is to put the medium on top of the TBH with an entrance into the TBH. They can keep the brood going in the medium, but my hope is that they'll expand into the TBH and later I can take away the medium lang. Am I being to eager to switch? Should I just wait?

sam
    Sam
    Beekeeping since 2004 - 1 hive, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 donkeys, 3 sheep, 2 goats, 5 acres

The most direct way is to make some kind of frame to fit the TBH and tie or wire the combs into the frames. It has the advantage that they will have some straight comb to get them started right. They might eventually move down into the TBH from a box on top. Then again, they might swarm first. I'd leave more than one bar out for communications. It would probably help a lot if they had to fly through the tbh to get to the medium box. In other words have an entrance on the TBH and a way to get into the medium box but no entrance on the medium box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If I build a non-sloping TBH of the right size, can I just put the lang frames in directly? I have no problem building another one, since the first was just from scrap anyway. If there are any undrawn frames, I can just toss them.

sam
    Sam
    Beekeeping since 2004 - 1 hive, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 donkeys, 3 sheep, 2 goats, 5 acres

The problem you will encounter is that they will be very reluctant to move no matter what you do you will have to coax them some way.
    Procrastination is the assassination of inspiration.
    www.customwoodkitsinternational.com