Hive Body Materials:
    one 3/4" 4x8 sheet of Exterior Plywood.
    Two 8’ 2x4’s
    2 8' 2x2's

First:
    Cut / rip the two sides 12” x 48.
    Cut the 2x4’s to 4’ lengths for the legs.
    Screw/glue a 2x4 leg to the 12” edge of each side. Attach on the 2" edge of the 2x4.

You will have two panels, like 2 “for sale” signs.
    Now drill a ½” hole in the center of each 2x4 leg 2 inches below the side.
    This will be your pivot point. Cut a 2” x 2” square of scrap ¾” plywood and drill a ½” hole in it. This will be your spacer. It will go between the 2x4’s. Now bolt the two sides together with an appropriate length ½” bolt.

Adjust the angle of the hive bodies. Screw a temporary brace between the legs once you have the appropriate angle.

Now measure the distance between the sides at the top, and rip another piece of plywood to this width. Measure the height and cut the end to length.

Now hold the end in place with a clamp or screw and trace the angle of the sides so you can cut the angles for the end pieces. After cutting, you will screw / glue the end to the inside edge of the outer leg and to the outside edge of the inner leg.

Take the leftover piece of plywood and use it for a lid. After you have made your top bars, cut the top it so it overlaps the hive by 2 inches on each side. Then cut the 2x2’s to length and screw/staple/nail and / or glue to the underside edge of the top.

Paint the exterior.

Whoops, almost forgot the bottom. Staple 1/8” hardware cloth on the bottom. If you also want a bottom board, add a strip of scrap plywood over the hardware cloth. Cut it in 2 pieces (24” lengths) so you can remove or add it as needed.

Now you can choose what style / design of top bars you want!

If you are worried about the insulation value of the ¾” plywood, attach the plyeood to the 2x4's on the 4" side add a second sheet on the outside. The airspace between the sheets will act as a great insulater. Add a strip of 2x2 at the top and bottom edges of each side. Add a scrap of 2x4 at the entrance location so you can drill / cut your hole through solid wood.

DISCLAIMER: I have not yet built it!!! But it ought to work~!

Of course resourceful Top Bar Hivers will find cheaper sources of material. You could make it from discarded pallets, just replace the plywood with straight boards, add as many as you need.

Good idea! Not following you on the spacer part though. Please elaborate for this thick headed sole.

You probably want to adjust the walls to 12" instead of 22". A tall TBH is a recipe for comb failure, especially when its very hot or very cold.
    Scot Mc Pherson<br />McPherson Family Honey Farms<br />Davenport, IA<br />BeeWiki: <a href=\"http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org</a> <br /><br />Pics:<br /> <a href=\"http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/\" target=\"_blank\">http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/</a>

Scott:

Agree! Don't know what I was thinking about. Just trying to use up the sheet of plywood I guess.

KS: Ok, the purpose of the spacer is to keep space open between the legs for the end. The end will actually be between the legs.

Maybe a simpler way would be to make one of the sides 44". Then both legs from the 44" side would be inside the 48" side legs, instead of staggered. So you would screw the ends to the inside of the outer legs (attached to the 48" side) and to the OUTSIDE of the 44" side.

Ahh... I imagined that was the function of the spacer. As you mentioned one side shorter than the other might be easier.

Question

So, have you made it? Did it work like you wanted? Are there pictures now [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I smile like this because I have no idea what I\'m doing :-)