I'm expecting a package of bees and plan on feeding them a 1:1 ratio of cane sugar/water. My question is, how is the ratio determined, by weight (for instance 1lb sugar to 1 pint water) or volume (for instance 1 cup sugar to one cup water)?

I built a Boardman type feeder that attaches to the rear of my TBH rather than the front entrance and holds a 1 gallon jar. I'm hoping this will allow inspection/cleaning/refilling without hive disruption and the location will be somewhat safer from robbing. It will be removed in the winter and the holes plugged. This is my first hive, I hope I'm not reinventing the wheel by trying something slightly different What do you think?

This forum has been a great help, thanks in advance!

>>(for instance 1lb sugar to 1 pint water) or volume (for instance 1 cup sugar to one cup water)?

I use the volume

>>I hope I'm not reinventing the wheel by trying something slightly different?--

That's what makes beekeeping so fascinating

Terry

It comes out about the same either way.

If you weigh 1 cup of sugar, you get
    about 8 ounces. Likewise, if you weigh one
    cup of water, you get about 8 ounces.

So, given that 2 cups equal one pint, the
    old saying is a very accurate statement
    as applied to sugar and water:

"A pint's a pound, the world around."

(Not all liquids and solids have the same
    density, so this statement is less accurate
    for other things, but more than "close enough"
    for feeding bees.)

Simple enough, thanks!

I put a rear opening in mine also for feeding ,using an entrance feeder.What if one had a small door to put grease patties in there to , so as not to disturb the bees as much.First hive also. went with 1:1 volume maybe a little extra sugar. Read somewhere 2:1 in the fall.

>Read somewhere 2:1 in the fall

That's generally what most recommendations are. I feed 1:1 in the fall, too. Why? Because it's easier to mix. No boiling water on the stove or doing a lot of tedious stirring. Just some hot tap water and sugar. Stir a few times or pour between buckets a few times and the sugar is all dissolved. It likely will take a bit more sugar that way since the bees need to evaporate more water, but....

I do a lot of 2:1 anytime, just because the syrup keeps better. Then I water it down when I feed it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If I ever feed, and generally I only feed new installations, I just mix as much sugar as will saturate the water from the hot tap. It gets pretty syruppy and thick. There is plenty of water here and I am more concerned about getting them enough feed sugar in the feed rather them eating it up really fast because they need more sugar. 3 sandwich ziplock bags last 1 week nearly all my new installations I have performed when I fed syrup instead of honey combs.
    Scot Mc Pherson<br />McPherson Family Honey Farms<br />Davenport, IA<br />BeeWiki: <a href=\"http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org</a> <br /><br />Pics:<br /> <a href=\"http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/\" target=\"_blank\">http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/</a>