Thread: TBH Insulation

Hey all, well read newby here.

I have seen those styrofoam hives advertised in some of the distributors like Betterbee. The advertising claims that the increased warmth is a boon to hives in northern climates.

I will be starting 2 colonies this spring and was wondering if I should incorporate some kind of insulation into my TBHs. It will make it more labor intensive and costly. Do you think its worth a shot? Maybe I should do it to one of my hives and see how the two perform side by side starting from packages.

------------------
    Ponder the path of thy feet.

I've never wrapped or insulated. I did buy a few foam hives this year and hope to see how they do.

demerl51 Guest

Hi Guys,

I have a sloped roof on one of my top bar hives. Thinking to insulate the attic space, I asked my wife for an old bed pillow. She had one and asked what I needed it for. I told her it was time to put the bees to bed for the winter.

What do you think :> )

Regards
    Dennis

Putting a pillow in is a stroke of lean management genius.

I was thinking of using an old food and beverage chest cooler as a tbh but am not sure that the dimensions would work out. Its about a foot and a half deep. Insulation completely encompasing the hive would not only help in the winter, but I imagine that it would keep wax from melting as well.

------------------
    Ponder the path of thy feet.

Hi Guys

I asked my wife if i could have a pillow to put my bees to bed. Told her that Dennis's wife gave him one for his bees. She told me to take a blanket too, and don't come back til after breakfast!

david