Thread: Backwards hive

Hey all,
    I think this is the mother of all bad decisions. End of July I was given a swarm from a friend that was in a 8 frame nuc. I wanted to put them in a top bar so I took one of my empty top bars and screwed arms on the inside just long enough to accomodate 8 frames. I attached the arms to the BACK wall of the hive and covered them with bars leaving a bee space above. I thought if I feed them like crazy they will need to build more comb and move onto the bars themselves. Now they have not moved off the frames however they did build more comb all around the frames. My problem is that i can't put the follower in without cutting them off from the entrance. I will probably either cut the bottom of the follower or drill a hole and seal the other end. Oh by the way did I mention these bees hate me! One other thing I cant figure out every time I open this hive I can see the face of the last frame it is always dry they don't use it anyone know why? Am I not feeding fast enough- 1.75 liters a day bottle is always dry when I open.

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

Maybe just tack a piece of scrap over the old hole and drill a couple new ones with a drill bit - 7/8" or so?

Lightbulb

David,
    I looked at the pics and plans, will be a good winter project while building the new hives.
    As for the hive I think your right seems like the easist thing to do. I had a visit from a bee source member Dean Brock and family. He suggested fabricating a queen excluder and shaking them into the bar side in the spring.

------------------

Gary

Greetings Gary,

When the bees begin to get ready for winter they will move feed from the rear of the hive and pack the broodnest area. Even some of the small cell core will be filled, but not much of it.

A this point the bees are organizing the colony in a vertical direction rather than the horizontal one seen earlier. When the broodnest gets packed vertically, they pay little attention to those combs outside that vertical focus. The bees will take feed until the broodnest can't handle anymore vertically and then get very complacient. And only a minor amount of storage will occur horizontally.

I think this is part of the natural cycle of things. The winter bees are 'fattening' up and excessive work could add additional stress.

My bees are behaving the same way now. The rear combs are empyt and will remain that way even if the bees are feed.

In a standard hive more space can be added above the broodnest. The bees will always attempt to fill it until it gets too cold. They will move stores from the bottom of the hive to the top.

I've wondered if all the late season work decreases colony vigor/longevity during the winter and spring. It will be a good comparison between my tbhs and standard hives next spring.

Regards
    Dennis

[This message has been edited by topbarguy (edited September 15, 2004).]

That definatly solves the mystery, thanks I hope the make it.

------------------

Gary