Thread: Wintering

Question

Whats the best wat to prepare a TBH for winter. My winters are like the north east US.

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

I've always just left them stores, put 1/4" hardware cloth on if there is a bottom entrance that the mice can get in. Reduce the entrace if it's too big. You could put a follower in to reduce the space to only the full bars.

Sad

This is my problem NO stores. They are only on 9 bars. I did notice that they were expanding the existing comb down and right. I resorted to feeding honey from another bee keeper in the area. They are comming in covered in pollen almost white. When I run out of honey i'll go to a 2:1 syrup. I had another idea but I'd like to run it by you first. I thought I could fashion wire mesh to hang from a top bar and stuff it with fondant and hope that they move on to it during thier natural progression thru the hive.
    A couple of questions that came to mind were;
    1. Will they need water with the fondant?
    2. Is there brood rearing going on thru the winter and how will this method affect it if there is no comb?

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

The fondant will probably help them. Usually there is enough condesation in the hive to be able to use it. I'd feed like crazy right now until it gets too cold. You'd be surprised how much they can put away, escpecially 2:1 syrup or honey.