Two hives I have in a melon patch are getting rich. They have the melons for pollen and clover and alfalfa all around the perimeter of the field for nectar.
I decided to move a TBH there, but it is a long hive, too heavy for me. It is a Crowder design.

I decided to transfer the bees to a short, l8-bar hive that I could handle. I grunted and wrestled the long hive to the ground and set my short box on the stand. So far so good. Field bees clustering at the entrance already.

Then I started transferring comb. Beautiful, perfect comb with just a bee space around the perimeter. ---Oops, there is a bit of attachment, oops, a bit more on this next comb. First Mistake: I started at the front of the hive so that I have no place to easily insert a knife to cut, to I carefully TEAR the combs loose.
START FROM THE REAR OF THE HIVE!!!!!!!

Having got the combs loose I put them in the new hive in the order they came out. Another OOOOps. There is a fractional difference in the width of the two hives and the combs have less bee space than before. Never mind; they will either attach or cut.

All done; now to close the hive. Another OOpsie. The combs from the original hive have propolis on their edges. The top bars do not close as tightly as before and I cannot place the spacer stick that tightens and closes the top bars.

Moral: Standardize your hives to close tolerances.
When manipulating, work from back to front.
You tell me what to do about the propolis-induced changes in bar spacing. You surely cannot do much scraping on a top bar with young comb on it in 95 degree weather. My intent is to cut a new spacer, pry the bars tightly together and put in the new, smaller spacer. I am going to make several very thin ones that I can use as shims for the main spacer.
Ox